Wednesday 14 November 2012

Confession time

So here's the thing: I've had a half-finished Farragut North review sitting her for quite some time, and I was not quite able to bring myself to finish it. Such a predicament obviously makes doing a theatre Blog difficult.

I suppose I was the victim of a two-fold reflexive insecurity. On one hand, I was worried that I'd write up a lame review and people would read it. On the other hand, I was afraid I'd write an excellent review that would sit there utterly ignored except for when my closest friends would glance over it during those times I specifically reminded them it existed. Neither of these insecurities have subsided any, but I decided to suffer through it. Since I suddenly find myself watching three plays in the span of one week, I decided I had to bite the bullet and get back into the swing of things. If nothing else, these reviews should be useful for my own personal development. And I don't need to take it too seriously, because it is, after all, "Just a Blog" (you know, I capitalised Blog back in my first entry, and now I'm just stuck doing it forever).

I'll admit, I had big dreams when I first started planning this out. I imagined being met with overnight success and wild fanfare, and that by this time I'd be able to stroll into any play in the city saying, "Bitch, please, I'm the Prairie Groundling. Impress me." This is obviously not going to happen (but my deep-seated desire to be a theatre bigshot manifested itself when I casually strolled into History of Breathing tonight without showing my ticket, and I didn't even realise it). But theatre in Saskatoon is growing, and it will continue to grow for some time, which means we will, at one point, require a culture of legitimate theatre reviews. I'm not promising to be the saviour to usher in this golden age, but I at least know that in the future I will be able to look back on this Blog and say that I was the guy who did this thing, and that's good enough for me.

But yes, Farragut North. I thought that I could use Live Five as the real springboard for this Blog, but then it occurred to me that I still haven't the slightest clue how one actually markets a Blog. I still don't, but that's a question for another night. I apologise to Charlie Peters, because he was one of the people who initially encouraged me in this endeavour, and I couldn't even give his play a proper treatment. But I will finish the review, as best as I am able, and I will post it here. That much is a guarantee.

See you all tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment